Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to Run Faster

Every now and then a runner asks how they can get faster. One way is to just run more - even at a relatively slow pace. That works pretty well, especially if you are new to running. But if you are serious about getting faster, you need to incorporate some faster running in your training. That doesn't mean to do every training run at a fast pace. What it does mean is that some of your training should be faster. That could take many forms. For instance, you could do interval training on a track, or do anaerobic threshold runs, or incorporate hill running in your training.

One way to get faster is to just add some faster bits of running during your normal run. The distance of the fast portion doesn't have to be a set distance. You can make it up as you go along. For instance you can decide to run fast to the next street light, and then ease off. And then you can repeat the pattern if you feel like it. In my first run today I ran 6 miles. The first mile and a half was fairly quick. Then I slowed down for a half mile, and then I decided I would run a half mile fast, then a half mile slow, and repeat as long as I felt like repeating. My half mile splits were: 3:25, 3:11, 3:44, 4:24, 3:10, 5:23, 3:16, 4:35, 3:07, 5:04, 4:20, and 4:11. I really didn't have any goal pace I was trying to hit. I just ran what felt like a fast pace. Then I ran at a slow enough pace to recover. It was a hard run, but I had a lot of fun. I averaged a little faster than an 8 minute per mile pace, but it tired me out like I had run much faster.

My second run today was an easy 5 miles , averaging about a minute and a half slower per mile than my first run. I could have run faster, but not all my running needs to be fast. It is good to get in a nice, slow recovery run sometimes.

No comments: