Monday, June 28, 2010

Closing Out the Month of June

The interval workout went well last Thursday. Six bouts of 800 meters with about three minutes rest in between. In cooler times the rest period would have been shortened, but it was in the 90s and pretty humid. Stormy led the pack with, I don't know, maybe a little under 3 minutes per 800. Sally and I ran together and averaged 3:20 for the 800s. Andy and Steve kind of hung together, and Beth, Patty, and Kaci made good running partners for this workout. Larry also ran with us. I think that's everybody, but I may have inadvertently left somebody out.

I recovered well from that workout by Saturday. Not too much soreness in the legs. It was warm and humid again when we did our long run - so much that we are going to try starting an hour earlier beginning next week. Our eight miles was at a fairly brisk pace for a sort of long run. Will held back and led us at around an 8:15 pace for about five miles, and then I think the pace picked up. But I'm not really sure because Steve and I lingered at the water stop. I ended up with an 8:15 average for 8.23 miles. I think Brian, who was with the lead group said his average was about 8:09. I'm sorta hoping that as our runs get longer that the pace for most of us will slow down just a bit.

After the run I went with Kathy and Brian to LaFortune Park and played tennis for an hour and a half. It was the first time I picked up a racket in 20 years. I had a lot of fun, but it exercised a few muscles that running doesn't seem to get too well. My glutes were a bit sore Sunday and even Monday morning.

It's Monday night now, and I'm in Memphis. I missed the hill training this evening. In fact, I didn't get in my run today. But I did take about a three mile brisk walk in downtown Memphis and pumped some weights in the hotel fitness center. After the workout I looked just like Arnold Schwarzenegger. After that I went to eat at Corky's Barbecue and had dry Memphis style ribs. They were pretty good, but I think I prefer the wet ribs. Too bad I overate, and now my body doesn't look like Arnold's anymore. On the way back to the hotel I passed a convenience store and took a picture of their sign, and it reminded me that I should try to run some this week.


Hopefully I will be back in time for our Thursday group run, but there actually is a pretty good chance I will miss it. For sure I will miss next Saturday's run, but I should be back on the 5th for another hill run.

Saturday's run will start at Veterans Park at 5:45 a.m. The route is to go south on the River Parks trail and then turn around and return to Veterans Park. Where you turn around depends on what group you are in:

Beginner Half: 4 miles. Turn at 41st Street. There will be an aid station there for the Midnight Madness 50 mile race.
Advanced Half, Beginner Full: 7 miles. Turn at the 4.5 mile marker (or you can go on to the park at 56th
Street, which will add about a half mile to your run, but there is a nice water fountain there.)
Intermediate and Advanced Full: 9 miles. Turn at about 61st Street. I would say the 5 mile marker, but they took it down when they redid the trail.

Everybody should offer words of encouragement to the 50 milers, who will be into their 6th hour of running when you guys get started.

Take it on the run!
TATUR Dave

1 comment:

Blazing Turtle said...

Hey Dave,

Larry Smith...I run with the Blazing Turtles. I put a link to your blog on our groups blog...Enjoy

http://blazingturtlesrunnersworld.blogspot.com/