Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm Sick and My Hip Hurts

Saturday afternoon my throat started getting sore. After a day or so my nose started to run, and I developed a cough. And I'm tired. So, I'm not running much this week. I definitely won't be at RunnersWorld for the group run Thursday, but I hope to be ready for our twenty mile long run on Saturday.

Monday morning I went to the YMCA and swam 800 yards, even though I was already feeling the effects of the cold. I felt pretty worn out after the swim. My plan was to swim two or three mornings a week, but I think I will put that off until I am feeling better.

The cold symptoms are not my only concerns, though. Monday at noon I ran about four miles at an easy pace, and Tuesday I ran five miles at a fairly easy pace. On both of those runs my right leg hurt quite a bit - quads, hams, groin, and hip. The hip is what bothers me the most - mentally, that is. I kept thinking "this hip pain feels really familiar." It felt just that way for the week or so before I dislocated my hip in a cross country race my senior year of high school. So, no running for me at least until Saturday, and that will be slow. I've even started having second thoughts about signing up for the Tulsa Run.

In the meantime I have been trying to do self massage on my quads, hams, IT band, inner thigh, and the side of the hip. I've been meaning to order one of those quad rollers, but since I don't have one, I rolled on top of a basketball (tennis ball for the side of the hip). Boy was that painful! But, I think it may have helped some. I will try it again tonight.

5 comments:

Kendal said...

Dave
Sorry to hear about your illness and hip. I think some of my melaleuca products would very helpful for your symptoms. I think you need some replenex and some of my Access bars. I'm a firm believer in both of these are an important part of my training. When I began having new troubles a few months before the OKC Marathon I began taking the Replenex, since then I have pretty much pain free outside of normal soreness. The access bars will also help you to not feeling so fatigue when you finish running. Hope you get feeling better. I won't be there saturday, but I'm doing my 20 miler on Friday morning before I leave. See you the following saturday

Kendal

Bobby said...

I sympathize with you Dave. I got one of those darn colds (or allergies) also. Started feeling bad Monday and now it's Thursday and still not feeling so well. I haven't been resting either. Ran 3 Monday, 4 Tuesday and biked 8 miles Wednesday. Running 5-6 tonight. I know I don't want to feel like this during a 20 miler.
I hope we get better soon.

Candice said...

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well!! Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids! The runs just aren't the same without you!

Ethiopian Elites said...

My cold symptoms seem to be subsiding a bit today. If that was my only issue, I could easily go out and do even a long run today.

My leg feels a little better today too, but I'm still not running until Saturday. I think tomorrow I might take off work early and ride Saturday's route slowly on my bike. If I do that, I will carry chalk with me and put down mile markers and perhaps a few drawings.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

I hope you are feeling better!