Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Good Running Week

I had Monday off for Martin Luther King Junior's birthday. I celebrated by running for about an hour and a half on Turkey Mountain.

On Tuesday I reported for jury duty. It meant I couldn't get in my usual noon run, and temps were still a little cool for me to want to get up early. But I did get a good 12 mile run in on Wednesday evening. I started at 56th & Riverside and ran north because I wanted to see what was going on at our usual crossing point at Riverside and I44. Looks like they tore up the trail between Boston and Riverside, but what is worse is that they took down the traffic signal, which means it won't be very safe to cross the road there. I kept going north on the grass, as I was checking out the progress on the path construction from I44 to 31st Street. I was wondering what would be the best route to run on Thursday, and my initial inclination was either to run to 31st and Riverside via Peoria, 34th, and Cincinnati, or to run through the neighborhoods behind the store.

When I got to 31st, I decided to go ahead and run a bit further to the north, and before long I was at 11th Street. I then ran back, and while I was at it I kept going to the bears, although I really turned around as I got to the loop, so I didn't quite get to the bears. I then turned back north and made it to the park at 56th. Total elapsed time, 1:40:46; total distance, 12 miles. That turns out to be an 8:24 pace. It didn't feel that quick while I was running it, so I was very satisfied.

Thursday we ended up running in the neighborhoods behind the store. Bret Sholar was in town from OKC, and I ran with him, Neely, Larry, and Tony. We went all the way to 21st & Yorktown and back. Mapmyrun says it is 7.15 miles, and we ran it in 57:53, so that is right at an 8:05 pace. No wonder I was struggling to keep pace with Bret at the end. A great tempo run.

Friday I took a day off from running. Instead I mapped out a couple of very hilly runs and then drove the routes. I value my life, so I probably won't push to have them as routes for the group. However, I may try them out myself someday.

Saturday was cold. My cell phone said 21 degrees with a 16 mph wind. Feels like -2. The group ran 9 miles, starting at Helmerich Park and heading south and then along the Creek Turnpike trail as far as Yale. We returned running into the wind. Not so bright of an idea according to my way of thinking. I had some words with Brian about that. Anyway, we survived the cold, and Patty, Kathy Fleig, Larry Davied, Bill, Wade, and I did another 5, making it 14 miles. The pace was 9:30ish, which is good for a long run.

After the run, Wade and I met Larry Long at Panera. Larry had coffee, I had hot chocolate, and it seemed like Wade had everything in the store. My daughter, Becky, and her friends, Molly and Rachel were also at Panera, but they left soon after I got there. Hope I didn't drive them off! After a while Brian showed up. He had already had breakfast at First Watch, but I guess it was time for second breakfast by then.

Total miles for the week was a little over 42. Could have been more, but I wanted to come in out of the cold.

2 comments:

50something said...

Your splits are impressive! Especially when it feels so effortless. Looks like I made the right call yesterday. I met Carmie, Cindy and Teresa at Veteren's Park and we ran our 12 miles all to the south. We had a car at 96th & Riverside and drove back. The run across the 71st St bridge was brutal. I think this was the coldest run I have ever done with the wind chill. I saw most of the RW group but missed you but everyone was so covered up it was hard to tell who was who. I got back out again this a.m. and it was a beautiful cold morning, no wind and a nice easy run.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Hey Paula,
I did see you on Saturday, and I think I waved at you. I was with a group, so it's no wonder you missed me. You girls were smart to run with the wind.

This week should be interesting running weather. Be careful on the ice.