Sunday, February 1, 2009

An Icy Week

Monday started out as a pretty nice day. At noon, shortly after I started my run, freezing rain began to fall. It didn't give me too much trouble until about 3.5 miles into the run. I ended the run totally coated with ice, and the roads I was running on were also totally coated. That last quarter mile or so was more like skating. Distance = 3.8 miles at about 9 minute pace.

They let us off work early on Monday and called off work entirely on Tuesday. I managed to get 8 miles in on a stationary bike before my wife had me busy on other stuff around the house.

Thursday I ran 3.9 miles at noon averaging about an 8:30 pace. It was sort of a Fartlek run, because I ran fast on the dry pavement and took it more slowly on the slush and ice. Thursday evening I ran with the group behind the store, and then to Utica Square & back. First 6.5 miles were just over an 8:30 pace. Then I ran another 2.5 miles with Paula at a much slower pace because the roads were really starting to get slick. Average pace for the 9 miles was a little over 9 minutes/mile.

Thursday's runs left me with with sore glutes, so I took a day off from running on Friday. Saturday I started a little early and got in about 4 miles. Then I did another 12 or so with the marathon training group. Pace for most of the run was 8:30ish, and a little slower as we ran up the icy hill toward Harvard and a little beyond. I didn't record my splits exept for the last few half miles, which were 4:08, 3:59, and 3:37. Fred was really pushing me for those last couple of miles, so after that 3:37, I let him go on, and I coasted for the last half mile or so. Total distance = 16.2 miles at an average pace of around 8:40 per mile. I felt pretty good during and after the run. Good enough, in fact, to go roller skating Saturday night.

Weekly distance = 32.9 miles running & 8.1 miles on stationary bike.

I am spending most of the next week in Little Rock. Hopefully I will get to run with Lauren some.

3 comments:

Bobby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobby said...

The ice was a bummer.
Falls for the week: 1

Ethiopian Elites said...

Falls for the week = 1 for me. It was while trying to do the limbo on roller skates.