Friday, April 10, 2009

Saturday April 11 Route

Saturday we will have our last long run before the OKC Marathon. The plan is to do several loops and to keep an even pace on each loop. No timing devices allowed except for the one at Veteran's Park. You can see the route at www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ok/tulsa/676123933772712263

Here is a description of the 5 mile loop:
South on River Parks trail to the pedestrian bridge, Midland Valley Trail to 21st. East on 21st to St Louis. Left on St Louis and go around Swan Lake. Right on St. Louis and left on 17th Pl. 17th Pl. to Madison. Madison to 15th to Boston, and back to Veteran's Park.

Advanced half does 3 loops. That gives them their scheduled 15.

Marathoners do 4 loops. That gives them 20. The schedule says 22, so to add those extra miles, I suggest a trip to the pedestrian bridge and back.

Beginner half is scheduled for 13. That means they do 2 full loops. For the extra 3, I would suggest doing sort of the same loop, but not hitting riverside or the midland valley trail. So, they would go east on 21st to St Louis, go around Swan Lake, Right on St. Louis and left on 17th Pl. 17th Pl. to Madison. Madison to 15th to Boston, and back to Veteran's Park.

This route is a little bit hilly, but not terrible. It will be good practice for the gently rolling hills of the OKC course. Anybody who wants a flatter course can do the same 5 mile loop we did two weeks ago in the snow. I like the hills, though. Sometimes when I am running a hilly route, I think of the Psalm that says,
"I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD ,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1-2)
See you all Saturday!

Update: I added the elevation profile for the loop below. Total climb for each loop is about 170 feet (with the same amount of descent).

4 comments:

50something said...

big thanks for planning all these routes. I like the hills too and beginners can be encouraged to walk them. I don't like the loops but it will be good for the "unplug" exercise to get a feel for your pace. I really like the scripture! You rock Dave!

Bobby said...

Sounds like a better loop than the Zink Lake loop. And no snow or rain in the forecast. Yea!

Thanks Dave for all your planning and maps throughout this training session.

HappyTrails said...

That verse comes to mind often running in Colorado Dave! Keep running those hills - it makes you strong!
Steve

Bobby said...

Yep. That was a nice route. All 4 times.