Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another Week of Training

After last week's Monday night hill training, I felt a little sluggish for a couple of days. Tuesday and Wednesday at noon I just did 4 easy miles. By Thursday I was feeling better and did a 4 mile tempo run @ about a 7:45 per mile pace.

Thursday evening I ran with Kaci and Paul. We started from RunnersWorld and did the Zink Lake loop and back to the store, a total of 8.7 miles at between an 8:30 and 9:00 pace. After that I stopped at McDonalds and ate a double cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate shake, and then I ran a couple more miles through downtown with Kathy and a few others. That made about 15 miles for the day

Saturday was a 7 mile run with the "Ethiopian Elites." Brian, Fred, Kurt, Hayley, Zach, Brian H., Paul, and I all started out together. Fred, Hayley, and Zach went on ahead and missed the turn at 11th, and Brian and Kurt were close behind, but they made the turn. Brian H., Paul, and I fell behind a little. The humidity was really getting to me. When we caught up with the half marathoners, I took the welcome opportunity to walk a bit and chat with Firepants. At the end of the run I wrung out my shirt, and I'm sure at least a cup of sweat came out. Average pace for Brian H., Paul and I was 8:37. The others were much faster. Miles for the week = 38.

Monday I did an easy 4 at lunch. It's hard to do any more than an easy run in this heat (90+ degrees). Then our hill training group met in the evening. Janice, Megan, Leslie, Ashley, Kaci, Paula, Kevin, Jarrett, Jeff, and I jogged an easy 2 miles to warm up and then did 4 sprints up the hill (a few of us did a 5th sprint). The cool down jog was more of a walk. Afterwards I drove to the park at 56th and Riverside to count the white marks that are 100 meters apart on the River Parks trail. Turns out that from the water fountain just south of Hwy 44 to just past the restroom at 56th is 800 meters. Perfect for our interval training on Thursday!

No comments: