Monday, June 8, 2009

Saturday and Monday Report

Saturday we started training for the Route 66 Marathon. I was assigned to the fast group, with goals of anywhere from 3:15 to 3:45. I am the slowpoke of the bunch. We call ourselves the "Ethiopian Elites." On Saturday Brian, Brian, Kurt, Fred, and I did 6 miles at a pretty relaxed pace, averaging about 8:30 per mile.

Brian, Fred, Jarrett, Holly, Paula, and I tackled that big grassy hill at 11th and Riverside on Monday evening. I forgot my camera, but next post I hope to have a picture. We started out with 2 miles of easy running to warm up, and then followed that with 3 all out sprints up the hill. After each sprint we walked down the hill and rested a couple of minutes to fully recover.

Fred and Brian started a little before the rest of us, and I think they did something like six sprints up the hill. I bet their legs will be sore tomorrow!

After the sprints, we did another 2 miles at an "easy" pace. I say easy, but I never really quite recovered from the sprints until we were almost finished.

It was a lot of fun, and it will really help us in our running. I hope more people can join us. Our next hill sprint training will be next Monday at 11th & Riverside at 5:45 p.m. We park in the parking lot at the top of the hill. There are plenty of spaces!

1 comment:

BOCA said...

Tatur Dave, you're amazing!! We talked about your hill training as Bobby's Bunch enjoyed the flat of the paved Turkey Mountain trail...Someday I'll be ready for those hills.... :) Thanks for all your organization!