Saturday, June 27, 2009

Blazing Fast Runners

Well, I don't know about blazing fast, but it sure has been blazing hot out there. Monday we did hill sprints when it was 98 degrees. To cool everyone off, I brought a jug of ice water with sponges. We sponged off after every couple of sprints, and that kept us reasonably cool. Still, we had two runners who were dizzy and nauseated, so they did not complete the 6 sprints. Next Monday will be 8 sprints. I hope it is not quite so hot.

I was too busy to run on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday I was in Little Rock and didn't make it back to Tulsa until 6:30, so I sorta missed the group run. I was heading out just as a lot of people were returning, so I did get to see a bunch of my friends. The planned workout was 2 x 2 mile repeats. It was real close to 100 degrees, and I didn't know how it would affect me, but I decided if I could do each 2 miles in under 16 minutes, I would be happy. My times were 14:54 and 15:35 with about a 2-3 minute active rest. Plus the mile warm up and cool down made it a little over 6 miles.

Friday was an off day for running, but I did ride my bike for about 12 miles as I chalked Saturday's 7 mile and 4 mile routes.

Saturday I ran about 9.5 miles with the group. Temperature was in the 80s, and it was humid. I finished the run dripping with sweat. The first 7 miles were a little hilly, and the last 3 were flat. The mile splits were 8:21, 8:15, 7:57, 8:39, 8:00, 8:10, and 8:17. Hayley set the pace for about the first 3.5 miles. When she split off from the group on Denver I walked a little to recover. That explains the 8:39 for mile 4. Average pace for the 7 was 8:14. Now, if I can keep that pace up for 26 miles, I can make it to Boston. I ran another 2 miles with Paul at closer to a 9 minute pace and then another stretch to the bathroom alone - at a rapid pace. Whew! Barely made it!

2 comments:

50something said...

Here's what I'm using as a checklist for running books:
http://completerunning.com/archives/2009/06/15/best-collection-running-books/
the Jack Daniels books is on there but not the Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon" by Brad Hudson. Fred Isaacs recommended "The Anatomy of a Runner," it discusses about a body changes while training for a marathon. Don't know when I'll squeeze these in, but it's nice to know they are available.

Thanks for all the chalking, next week, flat course, good time to push hard, weather permitting.

Bobby said...

Nice reading list 50something.

Dave, I think needing to go in the middle of a run is the best speed workout. Just not very comfortable.