Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Interval Session

Today was the first interval session this season for the RunnersWorld Tulsa training groups. A bunch of us braved the 94 degree heat as we ran an easy 2 miles to I44 & Riverside and then did 6 x 800 meters followed by another easy 2 miles back to the store. I had a great time, and I think everyone else did too, although some people made threats of doing me bodily harm.

Everyone ran their own pace. The suggested pace was to run their marathon goal time (sort of). So, if their goal time is 3 hrs and 35 minutes, for example, then they would run each 800 meters in 3 minutes and 35 seconds. For recovery between intervals, we rested for about 3 minutes.

My aim was to keep each 800 meters between 3:20 and 3:35. Here are my results:
3:22, 3:27, 3:29, 3:27, 3:24, 3:18

I finished feeling pretty good, like I could have run several more at that pace.

On another note, my daughter, Becky, left today for Guatemala for a short term medical mission. Pray that all goes well.

2 comments:

T Z said...

So you mean we could have held back and ran a little slower than our max pace? Hmmm. My goal was to run at 98% and I feel I did just that.

Ethiopian Elites said...

You did hold back! I recall you telling me that one of your intervals was much faster than the rest.

In early May I did a couple of sessions at the Jenks track. I was running 3:20 with a 2 minute rest, but it was much cooler then.

I thought if I hit somewhere between 3:20 and 3:35 with a 3 minute rest, it would be about right in yesterday's heat. I think I hit it about right. Maybe I could have gone a little faster or taken a little less rest, but it was a good workout, and it's actually a good thing to leave a workout feeling like you could have done more.

My impression is that most of the people felt like they hit their times pretty much the way they wanted to and are looking forward to more sessions. I'm thinking perhaps the next one should be 6 to 8 x 700 meters in the neighborhood.