Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Training in July

My first run in July was an easy 4 miles at lunch on Thursday, July 2. That evening some of us did intervals on the River Parks trail just south of I44. Most people did 6x800 meters, and we did it at about 5k pace or a little faster, with about two and a half minute recoveries. Andy and I extended the 5th one to 1000 meters. Here are my times (Andy was a little faster on each one.):
3:11
3:21
3:17
3:24
4:14 (1000 meters)
3:15

On July 4th I was in Ozawkie, KS. I got up and ran by myself at 7 in the morning. It had rained hard for a good part of the night and was exceptionally humid. Temperature of about 80 and humidity of more than 80 percent made conditions a little rough for me. I did a 2 mile loop 4 times. Each time around I wanted to quit, and I even gave thought to giving up running altogether. But on the fourth lap a dog - a retreiver - kept me company most of the way, until he found a huge pool of water to play in. Having the company helped a lot. I had planned on running 9 minute per mile pace for the first three laps and finishing at around 8:15 per mile, and things went pretty close to plan. Here are my lap times:
17:52
17:51
18:07
16:50

On Monday I did a 4 mile tempo run at lunch at a 7:30 per mile pace. That evening I did the hill sprints with the group.

Tuesday I didn't have time to run, and I was a little tired anyway. I did enjoy a nice walk with my wife in the evening.

Running mileage for the first seven days of July was about 28. Not a great amount, but it included quite a bit of high intensity running.

No comments: