Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekly Update

Hooray! I stayed awake during the sermon. Our new pastor, Jim Johnston preached his first sermon today. He is going to go through Paul's letter to the Philippians, and today he started in Acts 16 to lay a historical framework.

One of the points of the sermon was that sometimes setbacks or adversity works for good. Before Paul headed off to Philippi, he visited Lystra to encourage believers there. On his first time there, though, he was stoned, and the crowd dragged him out of town, thinking he was dead. Paul used that episode to encourage the disciples in Lystra, saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. I guess Paul knew what he was talking about.

Okay, now for the update on running.

Saturday, July 11th, was the Poker run. I did 10 miles total for the day. For the poker run, I ended up with a pair. A couple of hundred people had better hands than I did, but I still came away with a pair of socks.

Monday I did 4 easy miles at noon and then another 4 miles plus hill sprints in the evening. It was pretty hot, so I am glad I brought the ice water and sponges to cool off with.

Tuesday was really hot, so at noon I sort of meandered through the neghborhoods near downtown, trying to run in shade whenever possible. I figure I got in a little over 3 miles.

Thursday was cooler, but humid. I took a little longer lunch and did a 5.5 mile run. That evening I did a total of close to 8 miles, including 6x1000 meter intervals. I was trying to hit 4:35 for each interval, and I ended up with 4:23, 4:38, 4:35, 4:39, 4:31, and 4:42. The last couple my legs were really heavy.

A ten mile run was scheduled for Saturday, but I thought I might add on a few miles and do 12 to 14. I started the run in my brand new pair of Mizuno Alchemies. My heel started hurting early in the run, and by mile 7 I had a blister that hurt so bad that I couldn't stand wearing shoes anymore. So I carried the shoes and did the next 3 miles barefoot and then stopped for the day. I ended up with blisters under most of my toes. The one under my right big toe was the worst. I still had to cut the grass, so I popped the blister and wrapped my toe with athletic tape. It felt okay while I was cutting the grass, but then when I took the tape off, it ripped all remaining skin off the bottom of my big toe. I woke up this morning, and the bottoms of my feet were hurting, so I took a look, and I have bruised on the bottoms of both feet. After church I came home and put my feet on ice. That felt so good.

Total mileage for the week was about 39.

Today I am trying to stay off my feet, and I will probably skip my noon run tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to do the hill run tomorrow evening.

3 comments:

meg said...

OK, I want to know what kind of job you have that will allow you to stay off your feet and pack them on ice! It sounds like running IS your job, you're a beast.

Ethiopian Elites said...

It was Sunday when I had my feet on ice. Monday I normally run a total of about 8 or 9 miles, but I only did about 2 miles. Tuesday (today) I normally do about 4 miles. My feet are still sore, so I am skipping running today. Tomorrow I will probably skip my normal 4 mile run. Maybe Thursday it will get back to normal.

Bobby said...

Maybe while your feet heal you could roller blade with no shirt on and some short shorts like the California looking dude.