Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Couple of Hard Training Runs and a Race

I only found the time to do two training runs this week, but I ran them pretty hard.
Tuesday: I went to Turkey Mountain and ran the yellow (39:40), blue (16:42), and red (7:33) trails. Total time 1:03:55. Distance is around 7 miles. That's a pace of a little over 9 minutes per mile, which is pretty fast on Turkey Mountain.
Wednesday: No running, but I did turn another year older.
Thursday: Andy and I ran 6:25 miles, averaging an 8:12 pace. We started going north on Peoria from RunnersWorld, went through Woodward Park, went south on Terwilleger, crossed Utica and made our way over to Yorktown, and then returned to the store over our old hilly route. We started the run slow and kept picking up steam the whole way. The last mile was in about 7:30, with the last half mile at about 7:15 per mile pace. A pretty good run, but I probably did it too hard to recover for the Tulsa Run.
Friday: I didn't run, but I did hang out at the RunnersWorld booth at the Tulsa Run expo most of the day. All that standing up wore me out. I did have a good time hanging out with Andy and Kathy, who were there all day, and with other friends who stopped by the booth.
Saturday: TULSA RUN 15K. My time was 1:10:45. A little slower than last year, but I'm happy with it. I was hoping to do 1:09:xx, but I knew within the first mile it wasn't going to happen. I did keep a pretty constant pace, but each kilometer was about 5 or 6 seconds slower than I had originally planned. It seemed like almost everyone I talked to had a great race, except for Larry, who seems to have pulled a muscle about halfway through the race. Hope it's not too bad of an injury. My wife got me a Garmin for my birthday, and I tried it out in the afternoon. I ran 1.19 miles. Max heart rate was 152.
Total Running Miles for Week: about 24
Next key run is the Mock Marathon, which is our last long run before the Route 66 Marathon.


No comments: