Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cut a Little Short by Sickness

After a 61 mile week, I was aiming to ramp up my miles just a little more this week. Here is how it went.
Monday: Four and a half miles at noon at about an 8:45 pace. Then did hill repeats with Rusty and Amanda in the evening. I ran the hills pretty hard. Rusty and Amanda were really strong on the hills too. Amanda is going to do well in her first marathon. Total mileage in the evening was about eight.
Tuesday: Five mile tempo run at noon. Avg pace of 7:31. Felt pretty good.
Wednesday: Six miles at noon, avg pace of 8:23. Another five miles in my neighborhood in the evening at about an 8:30 pace. Thought about going a few extra miles, but I knew I had a pretty good mileage day on Thursday, so I cut it short.
Thursday: Five and a half miles at noon. I ran a really easy pace because we were supposed to do a long tempo run in the evening. Thursday evening it was pouring down rain, so instead of a tempo run, we just did a longish easy run. I think it was a little over 8 miles, mostly at about an 8:30 ish pace, but part of it was walking because Brian was having knee problems. Doubled back until we met Larry and Patty, and I finished the run with them. I had a blast running on Thursday. It's always fun running in the rain as long as it isn't too cold.
Friday: I had planned a five mile easy run, but I had been suffering from a sore throat and runny nose most of the week. By Friday morning I was having some chest congestion, so I decided to skip the run and save myself for Saturday's long run. By Friday evening, I was pretty sure I wasn't even going to make it to the Saturday run.
Saturday: Skipped the long run. Had chills and fever during the night. Slept until 3 p.m. Felt achey all over. Went to the doctor and was tested for H1N1. Nope, I don't have swine flu. Doctor prescribed amoxicillin. Took first dose and went back to bed.
Sunday: Woke up at about 7 a.m. Took second dose of amoxicillin. Thought about Jason and Kathy and about how they must be pretty close to finishing their hundred miler. Went back to sleep. Woke up again at 9. Watched the finish of the Chicago Marathon. Thought about my friends from church who were probably almost 2 hours behind the leaders. Then checked facebook and saw that Jason finished his hundred in 24:24. Way to go Jason! Went back to bed.
Total running miles for the week: About 42. Would have been 67 if I hadn't missed the Friday and Saturday runs. I do have Monday off, so maybe I can get the long run in then. It's going to be hard getting in my mid week miles the next few weeks because I'll be gone on business trips.


1 comment:

Bobby said...

I only had 9.5 for the week. Missed Thursday and Saturday. Rare for me to miss. I got to crank it up this week.