Wednesday, March 26, 2008

No Running Today

No running at noon today. Instead my wife and I checked into possibly becoming foster parents. My daughter, Katie, works at a shelter for kids going into foster care, and she has talked us into at least checking it out. There is one particular boy that she has taken care of and thinks we should ask for.

Actually, I'm due for a day off from running. I have done eight days in a row, with 50 miles, and a good portion of that at a pretty hard effort. Yesterday was a pretty hard day. At noon I started out on what was going to be an easy recovery run, maybe a little faster than 9 minute pace for four miles. Instead I crossed paths with 3 guys that I don't know, and I stuck with them and ran about a 7:30 pace for a couple of miles before I turned around, walked for about a minute, and returned at about a 7:45 pace. Total of 5.15 miles at an average 7:52 pace including the walk break. After work my plan was to run 8 miles at marathon pace (8:30ish), but I sort of abandoned that plan because I was still tired from the noon workout and the preceding 7 days. So, I was just going to go at a relaxed pace, somewhere between 9 and 10 minutes per mile. Then Brian shows up, so I run with him. Here's how it went:

1st mile: 7:47
2nd mile: 7:56
3rd mile: 8:42, included walking for 1 minute
4th mile: 11:17, included walking and drink break (the actual running was about 8:30)
5th mile: 8:33
6th mile: 8:35

So, I did sort of get 4 miles in at about marathon pace plus a couple of quick miles and some breaks thrown in. It was a good day of running, but hard. After the run a bunch of people went to see a preview of "Run Fat Boy Run." I went home and relaxed.

Tomorrow I plan on running at noon, but not with the group in the evening. Katie is having the last rehearsal for her play, and I will help with that. Friday I will run easy at noon. The upcoming Saturday run is a long one, 22 miles if all goes well.

No comments: