Thursday, March 6, 2008

No Snake Run For Me

Yesterday I felt pretty miserable all day. It wasn't just that we were going through a NERC audit; I hadn't slept well the night before because I was thirsty and kept having to blow my nose, and I just felt drained of energy the whole day. Plus I had a headache. So, after work I went back to the hotel room and took a nap. I was a little cold, so I got under the covers with all my clothes on, including my coat. I woke up a couple of hours later with a fever. After cooling myself off with a damp washcloth, I headed out to Walmart and bought a thermometer. By that time I didn't feel hot anymore, but I took my temperature in the Walmart parking lot, 101.5 degrees. I suppose I must have been up to around 103 or so earlier.

So, this morning I called the doctor to get an afternoon appointment. Then I drove from Springfield to Tulsa and saw Dr. Willard. She said I have bronchitis in my right lung and prescribed an antibiotic and two drugs, one for congestion, and one for wheezing. She also told me I shouldn't run this weekend, or I will likely have lung problems for several months. So, I guess that means I won't be able to run in the six hour snake run. Maybe I will walk it if the weather is nice.

Dr. Willard asked what my next race is, and I told her the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. She's planning on running the half. I told her I might drop back to the half if I don't get some decent training in soon. I was happy with my training until sickness struck a couple of weeks ago.

On the bright side of things, my daughter's basketball team won the tournament last weekend. Next week is the National Homeschool Basketball Tournament. I will be in Oklahoma City all week for that tournament. Hopefully I will be feeling better and will be able to find some time to run on parts of the marathon course.

2 comments:

T Z said...

Gosh I am sorry you're fighting the bug. It even got a hold of me for about 8 hours last week. Ran a fever, and was achy. But I guess the bug decided I was uninhabitable and by morning, my fever was gone and I felt way better.

If you feel like it Saturday, wait until noonish and maybe it will have warmed up some, and come on up and hang out for a while. I am rigging up some sort of heat at the start/finish area. We'll have hot chicken noodle soup, and that's better than medicine!!

T Z

50something said...

Hey Dave-take Dr. Willard's advice. She's a seasoned runner and knows her stuff. Sounds like your body is telling you something. You've had an awesome start this year. Just take it easy and it will all come back.
There were hardly any gentlemen in our group this a.m., guess they were all at the Snake Run. Karmi and I ran 11 mi. I have been praying for you to get better so I'll continue to do that.