Wednesday, August 27, 2008

For Danny

Tuesday I felt pretty good, good enough to run, but I got busy at lunch, and I took the evening off from running just to prove to my wife that I am not addicted. I did stop briefly at the group run just to say hi, and I had a good chat with my dear friend and coach Kathy while everybody else ran.

I left early, went home to eat, and then went with my wife to visit my friend, Danny Webb, who is in the hospital. He had surgery Monday to remove part of his left lung, because he had all sorts of tumors in there. It turns out, though, that the doctor did not remove anything. His lungs and chest cavity and bronchial tubes are full of something, probably some kind of infection, but the tests showed no cancer. He is receiving a broad spectrum antibiotic, but the doctors really have noo idea what they are dealing with. It is something they haven't seen anything quite like before. They took samples and are having them tested, but it may take up to six weeks to find out what he has. In the meantime, he could die.

Danny and his wife, Karen, are two of the sweetest people I know. They are self-sacrificing people, always serving others, helping with the youth at church, and always are encouraging others. They have seen their share of difficulties, but no matter what, whenever they are around I can sense the presence of the Lord. For the past several years my family has had the privilege of helping Danny and Karen provide Thanksiving dinner to a bunch of truckers that had no where else to go for Thanksgiving. That is the type of people they are, always serving others and serving the Lord.

Makes you wonder why something like this has happened. It doesn't seem right. It doesn't make sense, but I guess it is a result of living in a sin cursed world. It's weird. In the past three months I have gone to two funerals for people who died of lung cancer, plus Marvin's mom, Dolly, is in stage 4 of lung cancer, plus this new thing with Danny. Life is fragile, and we never know when it could end. I know that God is good and that he is in control, but sometimes his ways are just past finding out. Why does he order things the way he does? I can't say for sure in this case, but maybe it is to remind us of how weak we are, and how dependent we are on God, and to prod us into seeking him. I read in chapter 17 of Acts yesterday that God "has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us."

In times of trouble I sometimes think of the words of the prophet Jeremiah who said in the midst of great national calamity,
this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
On the way to work this morning I was thinking about the following song by Matt Redman, which teaches us to bless the Lord in the good times and the bad.
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

3 comments:

Candice said...

I love that song!

Almost didn't recognize you last night in "real" clothes! I hope you're recoving well from that crazy run!

It is so sad when bad things like this happen to good people, but hopefully everything will turn out well in the end. They will be in my prayers.

Bobby said...

Wishing your friend wellness.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Love the song. Thanks for sharing. I know God has a plan for us all. It's crazy what form some of our paths take, but I'm thankful that he sheds light on most lessons taught. I'll be praying for your friend, his family and for you all. You are definitely a gift from God.

BTW, Michael told me about you all running the 50 miler...congrat's on getting through. Oh, I'm not so sure one night of taking off proves your not a running addict! :)