Saturday, August 9, 2008

Week in Review

Okay, I told you about the bug up the nose Monday morning. Since that happened, I kept sneezing and having a runny nose until Wednesday night, when I blew my nose and out came the bug. Still had a little nose running Thursday, but I was good by Friday.

I didn't run Tuesday through Thursday because I was out of town and didn't have the time. But, Friday at noon I did a four mile tempo run at an 8:00 pace. It was still pretty hot outside, but I felt good. I think the few days of rest did me good.

Saturday the temperature was more favorable. I showed up at Veteran's Park at 4:30 and waited for Coach Kathy, who was out on the course leaving water for us runners. She got to Veteran's Park by 4:45. In the meantime, I prayed for our group - things like that nobody would get injured or discouraged, and that we would all be helpful and encouraging to one another - stuff like that. After Kathy and I set up, we were all set to run with Patty Powell and Kathy Fleig, who were supposed to show up at 5:00. We saw some stirring in the parking lot at the north end of Veteran's Park, so we headed over there and found Dana, Teresa, Carmie, Donna, and Cindy getting ready to start their run. Then Kathy and Patty showed up at the south end of the park, so we headed back there.

We ran down to the pedestrian bridge, across, the river, and south and then headed back, which gave us about four miles at about a 10 minute pace. Then we ran with our groups. I ran mostly with Kendall, Bill, the other Bill, Larry, Gina, and Keri for an 8.25 mile loop. I was glad to see Gina. She has been out of town for a while, and I was afraid she had dropped from the group. The route was pretty much the same hilly route we have done before, but tacked on to the loop around Zink Lake, which maybe made it seem just a bit harder. There is a rumor among the group that some people don't like me very much because of my choice of routes. Actually, I think the word "hate" was used. Good thing they were just joking. (Now watch, someone will leave a comment on the blog telling me they were not joking.) Larry and I finished the loop together stride for stride at a brisk pace. Time for the loop was 1:15:20 - an average 9:08 pace. Then Kendall, Keri, the other Larry, and I started running the loop backwards to make sure everyone made it back okay. I was pleased to see everyone smiling and looking strong in that last mile.

After that, The two Bills, Larry, Kathy F., Patty, and I went out for another 8 miles, but at a much more relaxed pace. I finished with 22 miles for the day (34 for the week) and felt quite good when it was over. It helps to have such a good bunch of people to run with.

4 comments:

Bobby said...

Wow I can't believe you had that bug up your nose that long. Glad you got it out. I enjoyed todays course. The hills will make us stronger, right? I was thankful for the cooler temperature.

simulatedme said...

I kinda like the hills in a masochistic manner, bring em on! Actually I worry more about the downhill part and my joints.

Ethiopian Elites said...

I'm glad you guys appreciate the hilly workouts. You will really be thankful you did them when the marathon rolls around and you hit those same hills at around mile 22 or 23.

Bobby, it looks like it's going to be cool again next weekend. Schedule says 12 miles, but I'm thinking they will probably be a little less hilly. So next week should seem easy to you - and to Ed.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

I love the other verse you suggested! So the bug decided to make a home in your nose...too bad for the bug at the end of his little vacation! :) Glad your feeling better after all that. You literally had somthing buggin you! :)