Saturday, August 30, 2008

What a Week!

Started the week finishing a 52.6 mile training run on Sunday. Took off Monday & Tuesday from running. Did 5.2 miles at noon on Wednesday at a pretty fast pace, then 2 runs on Thursday at an easy pace - 3 and 5 miles. Took Friday off from running.

Saturday's run was really neat. I arrived at Veteran's Park just before 5 and saw Cindy, Carmie, Marv, and others just before they left on their 20 miler. Was really surprised to see Dave Anderson. Haven't seen him running for weeks or maybe months. Then I headed over to the other side of the park & started setting up. I put up the tent by myself and found that it is quite easy. All you have to do is get right in the middle, under the tent and push up on the support there. The thing just pops up like an umbrella. It was so much easier setting up than when we have had four people struggling on the corners.

Now, back to the running. Stacy showed up at 5:15 and we got in 3 miles before the group showed up. Then the group took off on a 7 mile loop, which included the first part of the Route 66 marathon course. I started out with the lead runners, mostly the usual guys, but Janna was there, which was a pleasant surprise. I was glad to see her running with us again. She was having problems with her hamstrings the whole run due to a strength workout on Wednesday that she still hadn't recovered from. I kind of dropped back from the leaders and ran with Janna and Kendal a ways until we got back to the park. Then I hung back to make sure everyone knew the route for the second half of the run. I ended up running toward the back of the pack with people I really haven't run much with.

I started running with Erin, the bunny slipper song writer and video producer. She and her husband Travis, who is Lisa's brother (Lisa is the one who kicked Erin's **** in the triathlon) have been married for 4 years and have not had any real arguments. As we passed Travis on the trail, I yelled, "hey Travis, look at this cute chick I picked up!" Then as we ran on, I said to Erin, "now you can have your first argument." I also ran some with the Bean Team, Kim, Deon, and Lisa (not the triathlete, the one getting married to Jason). Lisa and Jason are getting married tomorrow. I think she said her colors were pink and brown.

The coolest thing about that part of the run was when we saw a fox. I got off the trail, ran around behind it, thinking it would run from me toward the group, but when I got near, the fox turned to me and actually walked pretty close to me. Less than 10 feet. Then everybody came over and got a chance to be near the fox. I can't wait to see Ken's pictures. Most of the group then ran on, but it was hard to tear Jessie away. After some urging, Jessie finally began running with me. On the way back to the park, we ran across Paula, and she is probably going to kill me for mentioning this, but she had a little accident in her shorts early in the run due to intestinal distress and had to go home to change. So she still had quite a ways to go on her run. So, Paula, Jessie, and I completed the planned route. Then we did a loop around Zink Lake. After that, Jessie and I did a couple more miles because she desperately wanted to complete a 20 mile run. I would have been happy to stop before those two miles, but I felt like Jessie needed a cheerleader, so I finished the run with her. Way to go Jessie!

I'm glad that I didn't run the whole way with the leaders. We always have fun, but those guys are a bit more serious. The slower group seems to joke around a bit more, and I had a blast running with them for a change.

The distance for the day was 23 miles, and that makes 88.8 for the week. That is by far the most I have done in any week. And after getting up from my nap, I feel pretty good!

6 comments:

T Z said...

Dude, you're addicted to running. You need to get some help! :-Þ

Kidney Bean a.k.a. Erin said...

I am totally with TZ on this one. maybe there is a group you can join to talk abou tthe group you are in. BTW, Trav said he never even heard you say that, so we are still fight free. LOL. Maybe next time.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

I agree, I think you are addicted for sure! :)

50something said...

o, I'm mortified, but most of us have been there, and I did get get back out there and put in the mileage.
I think Imodium is going to be my new wonder drug.
It was great to run with you and Jessie, much better than hanging out with my ipod. Have a great week and I hope your painting and roofing blesses your soul and the family you're doing it for.

Bobby said...

Awesome mileage Dave. Someone needs to start "Runner's Anonymous". I think the first few members would be you Dave, Ken, Kathy and Brian.

Rachael Alise said...

Hey Dave...I am not quite to the addictive stage of running, not yet that is...but I can tell you, it has now moved to my second love, over football & Hawaii. To know me is to know that running is becoming just a little consuming, but only a little.

You Rock...I am impressed with your mileage. And yes....I have to say, you are becoming the poster child for those who are addicted to running.