Saturday, May 10, 2008

An Easy Saturday

I was the first one at 68th & Riverside, having arrived at about ten minutes to seven. As I was waiting, I sat down and saw the clover in bloom, so I started making a necklace out of the clover. Right at seven Paula showed up, and I gave her the necklace, obviously showing my delight in seeing her out there again. Then Michael, Rachel, and Jennifer showed up. After a few minutes, when it seemed nobody else was going to show up, we started our warm up walk.

I think a bunch of people didn't show because they are running in the Full Moon 5k Run tonight. I received an email from Kathy that she went to the 5k in Bristow this morning.

Charlie Willsey passed us as we were about finished with our walking. He stopped and said he was doing the 10 mile loop on the east and west banks of the river, and he invited us to join him. Jennifer and Rachel had gone on ahead to the north, and Charlie was headed south, so I sent Charlie and the others on ahead, saying I would catch up with them. I was going to tell Rachel and Jennifer what we were doing, but Rachel had already taken off, and Jennifer had nobody to run with. So, Jennifer and I ran together. We decided to go ahead and do the ten mile loop also, but at a much slower pace than Charlie and company.

It was the first time I had run on the west side of the river between 71st and the pedestrian bridge, and I thought it was an interesting route. Jennifer and I maintained about a 12 minute pace or so, which felt pretty good to me. I'm sort of nursing a sore hamstring, and the slower pace is good. Jennifer is going to do the Aquarium 1/2 marathon next weekend, and she said she was going to try to do a 13 minute pace, which I think she will have no trouble doing.

After we crossed back over the river on the pedestrian bridge to the east bank, we stopped at the restrooms, and guess what I found? The necklace I had made and given to Paula. So I wore the clover necklace the rest of the run. Sorry, Paula, for abandoning you, but I didn't want Jennifer to have to run alone. We finished our run right at 9:30, which barely gave Jennifer time to get to her ten o'clock meeting. No time to shower for Jennifer. I offered the clover necklace, saying perhaps it would mask the smell somewhat.

I found out a couple of things about Jennifer on our run. She is a graphics designer and a praise and worship leader at a church on the north side of town.

It was a very enjoyable morning of running, and I look forward to running again with my friends very soon.

No comments: