Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday

At lunch today I started out for a four mile easy run. On the way I met two new friends, Jim, and John, just as I passed TCC. They invited me to run with them, which I did. We headed south on Boston and at 18th Street John headed back. Jim and I headed on to the pedestrian bridge via the Midland Valley Trail and had a great time conversing. We both went to K State, and he at one time considered going out for the track team. Well, actually DeLoss Dodds, the athletic director, asked him to join the track team after he saw Jim win the intramural track meet. Hearing that name brought memories of when several of us guys used to run with the K State girls cross country runners. One time one of the girls asked us if we had seen DeLoss Dodds that day, and me, being the ignorant freshman, not knowing who he was, thought she was asking if we had seen "the lost dogs." So when I replied that I hadn't seen any lost dogs, everybody laughed at me and then explained who DeLoss was.

Oh well, that little story probably holds no meaning for any of you readers, but it brought back pleasant memories for me.

Anyway, back to the noon run. Jim and I made it to the pedestrian bridge and back downtown. On Boston, just as we were about finished, we saw Joe Hartl. I haven't seen him for a long time. Joe said he showed up Saturday to run with the group, but since I was at Day Ohn Day we missed another run together. Oh well, maybe next Saturday. I finished the run at about 5.2 miles. A little longer than I had planned, but I had a good time.

In the evening I met the RunnersWorld group, but I sort of ran alone because I wanted to do half mile repeats. The plan was to do six repeats at 3:30 with 1:45 rest in between. I got the first three in with times of 3:11, 3:26, and 3:35. Then I felt too pooped to complete the plan. I ran back some with Kathy and then stopped to do pull ups as she went on ahead. When I hit the next mile marker, I decided to do one last half and see how close I could come to 3:30. It ended up at 3:33. After that I walked a bit until Stefanie and Sarah pulled up beside me, and then I finished my run with them.

I finished the day by going to my oldest daughter's new apartment and having dinner and watching "Phantom of the Opera." It was a good day.

No comments: