Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I got home from Little Rock early Thursday afternoon, much to the relief of my worn out wife. It had been quite a week while I was gone. Katie had her tonsils out on Tuesday, which is supposed to be a pretty simple outpatient procedure. Well, that afternoon, after she had spit out quite a bit of blood during the day, she started vomiting blood and looked quite white. Marilyn called the doctor and took Katie to the emergency room. The doctor put Katie under again and cauterized a bunch of blood vessels that apparently did not did closed off good the first time around. They thought about giving her a transfusion, but opted instead to keep her overnight in the hospital and monitor her blood count. She came home Wednesday afternoon, and that evening discovered she had lice. When I got home, it was apparent that Marilyn had been very busy trying to get all the bedding and clothes that Katie may have contacted washed. And then Thursday night we had a birthday party for Sarah at Pump-it-Up for which we still had to make a few preparations. I got my Thursday evening workout racing a few high school kids on the obstacle course.

Friday I did a five mile run at noon. The plan was to take it nice and easy, but when I encountered the heat and humidity, that meant the run included quite a bit of walking.

Saturday I ran in the Day Ohn Day 5k. RunnerWorld has a good race report. I PRed, finishing in 22:27. I started the race thinking I might finish in about 22:30, so I was pleased.

Sunday our church had its Memorial Day weekend picnic, so I headed out early to help set up tables and tents and Jupiter jumps. I was pretty worn out afterwards, so I pretty much just sat around most of the evening. Watched "Where Eagles Dare," a good WW2 movie featuring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.

This morning, after the rain, I went on a bike ride. Legs felt sore the whole way, but I still managed 16.5 mph over the hilly 14.8 miles.

No comments: