Thursday, May 22, 2008

Karen Call's Full Moon

Got up early and met Karen Call and her running group at 5:30 this morning. I was introduced to everyone in the group, which was comprised of two guys and a bunch of women. The names I remember are Karen, David, Jeff, Kirsten, and April. We started at the Salon Avatar/Full Moon parking lot and went south and east on Kavanaugh Blvd. on an out and back that was 4 miles. I thought I would stick with the two guys, but it was a pretty fast pace, and I walked a bit at about three miles until the first group of women caught up. I started chatting with the women and found that most of them had run marathons, at anywhere from a 3:40 to a 4:02 time. We finished the four miles averaging just under a 7:45 pace. Then the group regathered, and Karen, David, Jeff, Kirsten, and I started the hill workout. We headed sort of north, uphill on Kavanaugh and went past Cantrell Rd. After a mile Kirsten and I headed back. The others were going to do a total of 7.3 miles, but I was happy to quit at six. The last two miles were done at a more reasonable 9+ minute pace. The group was exceedingly nice, and I had a great time running with them.

2 comments:

T Z said...

What?? No runners fast enough for you around here, so you go hopping off to Arkansas to run with the race horses?? I see how you are. :-Þ

Ethiopian Elites said...

When I read the description of the group, I thought it was going to be slow paced. I was expecting a nice easy run. Instead I was treated to a tempo run followed by hills when my body really wanted to be in bed.

Having said that, I did thoroughly enjoy the run, and if I am in Little Rock again and my schedule allows, I will definitely try to run with them again.