Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Running in Little Rock

I arrived in Little Rock just in time to make it to Cook's Landing to run with the Little Rock Road Running Club. The plan was to do speed work with them along the River Trail in North Little Rock. I guess the web site wasn't up to date because there was no group to run with. There was a nice woman, Chris, who invited me to run with her. And there was a guy who was going to do long intervals - mile and a half or two mile repeats at 5 minute per mile pace. I do remember being able to run a mile in 5 minutes, but that was only one mile, and that was over thirty years ago. So, I opted to run with Chris. As we headed off, she said the guy is the top local marathoner and that he wins almost every race that he enters. Our first mile was just under 9 minute pace, then we ran a fast mile in 7:40, then we slowed, and a half mile later Chris turned back because she was only running 5 miles. I went on alternating miles at a slow and fast pace. My faster miles were a little over 8 minute pace. It was pretty hard to keep up the pace because it was hot, and I was starting to feel overheated. But then I ran across a water fountain. I totally doused myself, and then responded with my final fast mile in 6:48. At that point my lower back was starting to tighten up, so I walked/jogged the remainder. I covered a total of about eight miles.

Dinner was a grand slam breakfast at Denny's - pancakes, hashed browns, bacon, sausage, and orange juice.

I missed meeting with the RunnersWorld Tulsa group. I saw their blog, and it looks like they had a great turnout. I can't wait to get back and start training with them.

No comments: