Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kindness

Thursday I did 4 miles at noon and another 6 in the evening from the store. The evening run was tough because of the heat & humidity. I did 4 of those miles with Larry, but then had to walk some while he went on ahead.

Saturday I was out running at 4:40 a.m. First I did a six mile loop that included Woodward Park. At about 5:30 I saw Robert and some others on 15th Street measuring the Tulsa Run course. Then I met the group at 5:45 and we did a nine mile loop that went to the center of the universe and back. I ran with so many people it would be hard to name them all, but I do remember talking to Larry about kids, and it turns out one of his daughters and my oldest daughter were good friends in high school. Small world, isn't it! I received a lot of razzing from people about last week's hilly route, but the scenery seemed to make it enjoyable enough to make the hills bearable. They did mention that Kathy's non-hilly route seemed to be rather hilly itself. After a brief stop at the center of the universe, we headed back south on Boulder to Veterans Park. That was the end of running for most of the group, but a group of six of us headed out again. I stopped at five more miles, but the others kept going. Patty was going to try to get in a total of 20, and since she hadn't started when I did, she still had a few miles to go. My total was 20 miles for the day and 43 for the week.

The highlight of the run was seeing Dana and Teresa after the run. They knew I had started before them and were concerned that I hadn't returned. That's just like them. Dana has always been an encouragement from the time I started running with the RunnersWorld group. I still remember my first marathon, running up that hill to the finish line with him cheering me on. It sure helped! Well, on Saturday he refreshed me with ice cold water and Diet Coke. Ahhh! That's just what I needed. Thank you Dana and Teresa for your kindness!!!!

3 comments:

Christal Pellerin said...

And THANK YOU for your kindness on Saturday. It was nice of you to check on me as we were crossing the 23rd street bridge. I actually felt better than I looked :)

Ethiopian Elites said...

You are quite welcome. And you looked pretty good, actually.

I think most people did pretty well on that run, even with the heat and humidity. Let me know if there is anything we need to be doing different - more water stops, hillier or flatter routes, or whatever.

I look forward to seeing you on the next run.

simulatedme said...

I didn't get to run your route the previous week but I'm ready to run it. I thought this week was good. Definitely a change of scenery. I'm really liking route changes and seeing different stuff.