Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Enraptured With Her Love

Sometimes running can interfere with other areas of life. After last week's 88 miles, my wife feels a little neglected, and rightly so. So, I'm going to bow out of the Tuesday night runs for a while to spend more time with my darling wife. I would never think about being unfaithful to Marilyn, but that is not enough. I was thinking about Proverbs 5:18-19 the other day, which says in part, "rejoice with the wife of your youth...And always be enraptured with her love." I want my wife to know - to feel in her heart - that I am still enraptured with her love, and that the love of running has not diminished my love for her.

I'll still run with the group on Thursdays and Saturdays, and I will find ways to get my miles in, so I can't claim to be over my addiction yet. However, I did limit myself to 2 miles last night, so I deserve some credit. (Okay, I already had run four miles at noon, and I had a 6:30 meeting to go to. Still, I did stop at two; I probably could have gone three and still made the meeting with time to spare.)

I had a pretty nice run early this morning. I ran without a shirt, and the cool mist coming down on my body felt really good, except when the wind was blowing so hard that I felt like my chest was being sandblasted by rain drops. I did 7.4 miles at a 7:46 pace, which is faster than I have ever run that distance in my adult life. The first half of the run was relatively easy, because I was going with the wind, but the last few miles were tough. I felt good during the run, but my legs are tired now.

Tonight AWANA starts at our church. For the first time in years I won't be helping with the 5th and 6th grade boys. Instead, I will help in the nursery, where my wife will be working.

4 comments:

Bobby said...

Susan thinks that is a great verse all of us guys should pay attention to. I have to agree.

T Z said...

yada yada yada. I just tell my wife to lace up her shoes and hit the trails with me!! I am blessed!!!

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

AWWWW! You rock the husband world! Thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately, my hubby was joining me in my addiction of running until the surgery got in the way. I'm still hopeful that Bobby will keeo him going until I rejoin the running family again in January!

Lisa Chinn said...

Dave,
Good for you. You're a smart man.

Thanks for helping the youngsters with AWANAS - it's a great program.