Saturday, November 1, 2008

Last Long Run - Sort Of

Another week with not too much running because I've been babying my right leg. About 4 on Monday and 5 on Thursday. But then today, Saturday, we did our last long training run for the Rt 66 Marathon. The good news is that my leg didn't hurt at all on today's run other than some tightness in my hamstrings (and the fatigue and soreness that comes with all long runs).

I started out thinking I would run something like 9:30 pace, but somehow I got started at sub 9 minute pace, and soon, with Rusty beside me, settled into a sub 8:30 pace. We kept saying to ourselves that we were going to slow down, and that we would pay for it if we didn't, but we kept going at that pace. We even had an 8:07 and an 8:02 - way faster than marathon pace. Sure enough, it caught up with us at about mile 17. That last mile on the grass on Riverside we slowed considerably. We also walked a little on the hills. But we finished the 22 mile run in 3hrs 17 minutes, which is just under 9 minute pace.

In the actual marathon, we will not run any of those fast miles, and hopefully we will have more left for the hills. Also, I need to drink more early in the run. We passed a few water stops without drinking, and that was a bad idea. I had some calf cramping coming down the hill on 15th Street, and I think drinking more would have helped with that.

Next Saturday's run will be much shorter - just 6 miles for the beginner marathoners and 8 for the intermediates. I will probably run just the 6, or maybe I won't run at all. Coach Kathy and Ken won't be there because they will be starting another 100 miel race at 9 am that morning. Around midnight, I plan to start running with Kathy for the last part of her race - probably around 30 miles or so. Glenn and Roman will also be running with her for part of the race. I am really excited about it. For some reason I am looking forward to that even more than the marathon. It will thrill me to see Kathy get a new PR and to finish another 100 miler.

1 comment:

Candice said...

You've been tagged!!

Check out my blog for details!