Friday, November 21, 2008

Post Marathon Reflections About My Running Buddies

Well, I've finally had a chance to talk to most of the people about how they felt about the Route 66 Marathon. It seems that most people had a really good time and are looking forward to many more marathons. Most of them aren't keeping blogs, so I will post my comments about them here. First listed is most of the subgroup I have been running with for the past few months. Well, I haven't really been running much with Duston and Andy; they are too fast!
  • Duston Lansford had a very fine first marathon, finishing in 3:29:31. He is pretty well recovered and ready to roll for the next one.
  • Andy Karlin was not far behind with an impressive 3:45:34. I ran with him on Thursday, and his Achilles tendon is a little sore, but I'm sure he will be back to regular training soon.
  • I was happy with my 3:57:10, although I was hoping for closer to a 3:45. I am feeling good and just about ready to start some more serious training.
  • Rusty Stecker went out fast, but slowed to finish in 3:59:25. He was happy to finish under 4 hours, and next year he will try to improve on his time.
  • Larry Davied did much better than he expected, finishing just over four hours with a 4:00:25. He was very pleased with how he performed.
  • Bill Major started out this training season not even thinking about running the marathon. He finished his first marathon in 4:10:39 and is elated!
  • Jana Headrick was hoping to come in close to four hours, but it wasn't her day. She finished in 4:23:25, which was a big disappointment to her. She is a great runner, and I am sure with some persistence she can break that four hour barrier soon.
  • Bill Litton was also a little disappointed in his time. He was aiming for close to four hours, but slowed to a 4:24:54. He thinks part of his problem is not hydrating enough. So, he learned something from this marathon, and he is bound to do even better in the next one.
  • Chad Stites was also disappointed. He kind of ran out of gas around mile 18 and he is not sure why. Still, he finished in 4:25:13, which is not a bad time at all. Chad is a quick runner, and I think with another season of laying down a good solid mileage base he will come close to or even break the four hour mark.
  • Kendal was happy with setting a new PR by about five minutes. He finished in 4:53:01. He is a quick runner and is capable of a much faster time. Like Chad, if he gets another season of good solid mileage, I expect to see that time drop considerably.
Team Bean all did great in their first marathon. I am so proud of all of them. They are also excited about running more marathons and even venturing into the ultramarathon distances. Jason is already signed up for a 50k in December. The sad news is that kidney bean a.k.a. Erin is having problems with her knee. Hopefully with some rest the pain will go away and not affect her running. I am looking for her back running with us again. They have blogs, so I will let them tell their own stories.

The Runner Girl Power duo also did well in their first marathon and are ready for another dose.

Kathy Fleig had a good race, finishing in 4:13:56. If you look at her time in terms of age and gender grading (62.17%), she was our fastest runner, other than Lisa Butler, who is just blazing fast! Just for reference, Duston's age and gender grading was 59.62 percent. Woohoo Kathy! Kathy will soon be in another age group, which will bring her Boston qualifying standard up to 4:05:59. I will be keeping an eye on her times. I'm sure she can make it. Patty Powell, who regularly trains with Kathy also ran another good race, finishing in 4:50:06.

Special recognition needs to go to Larry Long, who finished third in his age group and got a new PR of 4:27:19. Woohoo Larry!

Also, we had two runners who ran in the Mountain Home Marathon on Saturday. It was their first marathon, and they did great on that brutal hilly course. Becky Scott finished first in her age group with a time of 4:41:27, and Janet Burgess finished second in her age group with a time of 4:41:29. Not bad for a first marathon!

Roman ran in the San Antonio Marathon, but is having some problems with his Achilles tendon. He will be laying off the running for a few weeks, while he goes to the physical therapist and waits for his healing to come. Too bad, because he was really looking forward to the Sunmart 50k.

The half marathoners all had a great time. Simone is happy to stay at that distance, and that is great. It looks like Daryl and Robb are setting their sights on the full marathon, though, after their thoroughly enjoyable half. Also, Stefanie is training for the full marathon in Houston, which is in January.

Sorry if I missed anybody.

3 comments:

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

thanks for your kind words and for being a great coach. :)

Bobby said...

I am cheering you on to meet your Boston qualifying goal.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Sadly, I had to be a spectator for this one! :( Better luck for my first 1/2 marathon...then back to adding miles and getting ready for my next marathon! Can't wait to get back to the longer distance group...no offense to my half marathon runners I'm coaching! It's in my blood to run the distance! :)