Sunday, November 16, 2008

A New Marathon PR

Well, it wasn't pretty, but I did get a new PR in the marathon. I wasn't sure how I would do. My goal at the beginning of the training season was 3:45, but I had problems with my quadricep, which seriously affected my training for at least a month, and last week I did a 40 mile run with Kathy, and I was still probably a little tired from that. Still, I thought I would go for it. I thought I would stay close to the 3:40 pace group and probably fade a bit after mile 20 or so. But, it was worse than that. I was right on pace for 3:40 until somewhere around mile 17 (average pace to this point was about 8:24), and then things started to fall apart for me. I guess I hit the wall. I really pushed hard the 18th and 19th miles, but couldn't get the pace below 9 minutes. Then I started to run a few minutes and walk about a minute, run a few minutes, walk a minute. I thought, "Oh, if only I can keep the pace at 10 minutes, I can still get close to 3:50." But by that time my body was pretty well spent, and it was all I could do to keep an 11 minute pace. My splits from the race are listed at the bottom of this blog entry.

I was glad to finally get the downhill on 15th Street. I coasted for under 10 minutes in that mile, which included some walking on Boston. The last half mile I hit pretty hard, and my legs - calves hamstrings, and quads - were cramping pretty badly. I forced myself to ignore the cramping, and I held on to finish strong. It really helped to have Lisa and her family cheering me on at 18th and Boston.

When I crossed the finish line, I was exhausted and weaving around. A couple of volunteers asked if I needed to go to the medical tent. I regained my composure and said no thanks. After I picked up my medal and shirt I started to walk over to Lisa, and it was really weird. I started to cry. I wasn't in pain, or sad, or particularly happy, but I was so exhausted that I couldn't control my emotions. By the time I got to Lisa, though, I had pretty much recovered, though.

From our seats on Boston, we were able to cheer most of the runners from our training group. That was a lot of fun!

By the way, not only did I set a new PR of 3:57:10 in the marathon, which betters my PR by a little over a minute, but my 1/2 marathon split of 1:50:05 is six minutes faster than my 1/2 marathon PR. Woohoo!

Even though the race didn't go exactly as planned, I was satisfied with the results. And even though the last eight miles were quite agonizing, I still enjoyed the race and will definitely do another marathon. I am having second thoughts about my goal of trying to qualify for Boston in a year.

Splits
1 - 8:23
2 - 8:18
3 - 8:28
4 - 8:22
5 - 8:32
6 - 8:36
7 - 8:24
8 - 8:20
9 - 8:18
10 - 8:06
11 - 8:13
12 - 8:26
13 - 8:27
14 - 8:24
15 - 8:24
16 - 8:26
17 - 8:42
18 - 9:07
19 - 9:16
20 - 10:25
21 - 9:56
22 - 10:13
23 - 11:27
24 - 10:59
25 - 11:16
26 - 9:45
26.2 - 1:53

8 comments:

BOCA said...

Way to Go!! Start to finish is what matters most. It is great though to achieve a time accomplishment during any event. Enjoy some recovery time :).

gunnarun said...

How do you know your spacific time for each mile? I have the Garmin 305 and I haven't figured that one out yet?

Ethiopian Elites said...

I don't have a Garmin, but the miles were marked. I wore a watch that has a stopwatch on it (Timex Ironman Triathlon). I just hit the button to record the split each time I crossed a mile marker.

Bobby said...

Wow Dave. Your slowest mile was faster than my fastest mile which was 11:35. You are awesome.

gunnarun, go to your history on your Garmin. It will show your mile times if you have it set up that way in the settings.

T Z said...

my 3:57:06 PR is safe for another day! :-Þ

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, I was really happy to see you come runnin down that road. You were one of the first runners from our group that I had seen, and I was so very proud of you.
I got a good picture of you and Butters.

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

That would be so awesome to finish an hour earlier. (your time vs mine). Congrats on the PR! You did awesome especially after the 40 miles less then a week before!

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

You are amazing...go SUPER DAVE!