Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ask Me How Far I CLIMBED Today


You all know that I just adore Kathy, and she used to be my favorite coach, but there comes a time when the truth has to come out. I have been blamed for coming up with hilly routes, but two weeks ago Kathy sent us on the hilly route from hell, and today she even topped that. And she was so ashamed of herself that she tried to blame Roman for picking the route. Not to mention that last week she somehow managed to have us run in something like 200 percent humidity for our long run. I would never do that to you guys.

Here was the route: North on Boston to 15th, 15th to Utica (quite a hill), Utica to 21st (still hilly), 21st to Yorktown (a little downhill), Yorktown to Forest Blvd (some downhill, but a big uphill climb), Forest to Lewis (uphill again), across Lewis onto 28th and to Columbia (just some little rolling hills, almost flat compared to the rest of the route), and then back along the same route. I have included a graph of the elevation of the almost eight mile route.

Here's how we did on the run. I ran most of the way with Rusty and Andy, with other runners not too far behind. Made it to 19th & Utica, the 2 mile point in 18 minutes flat. We got to the turnaround (3.8 miles) in 33:08. Finished the hilly route with a time of 1:01:45, with the last two miles at about a 7:15 pace (of course it was downhill). Avg pace out was 8:43, avg pace return was 7:32, avg pace overall was 8:07. Afterwards I did about two and a half with Janna at 8:30 pace and then another two with Jenny at about 9:30 pace. It was a great cool down run.

It was good to see how strong everyone was going up those hills, and I really had a blast running the route. I guess Kathy still is my favorite coach after all.

3 comments:

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Oh Coach Kathy is a crazy one, but we gotta love her and the enthusiasm she brings. I'm thankful you all suvived all that climbing on your run. My IT band would have just loved it. :)

Bobby said...

Dave, how far'd ya climb today?

People outside of Oklahoma think it is flat. They have never ran our streets before have they?
It might not be San Francisco
but feels hilly to me.

Also, we can boast that we have the worlds tallest hill, Cavanal Hill in Poteau. Have you ran that one yet?

Ethiopian Elites said...

That run had a total of 580 feet of climbing. It also had 580 feet of descent.

I ran most of the loop again on Sunday. I was nicer to Kathy on Sunday - no thumbs down signs, only positive comments marked with chalk on the pavement every so often.