Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday

In my last post, I said I was looking forward to the 16 mile run in the rain on Saturday. No such luck. It was 75 degrees and 97 percent humidity. In general, no matter how tired I am or how little sleep I have gotten, I don't have too much trouble getting out of bed for the run. In fact, I usually show up before everybody else and get in a few miles. Saturday was not usual, though. It was all I could do to drag myself out. Sure, my legs were tired, but I just dreaded getting out into that humidity.

I was with the lead runners until about four and a half miles into the run. We had been doing somewhere between a nine and nine and a half minute pace, but that was starting to wear on me, and the lead group went on when I stopped to get a long drink. Already my clothes were dripping wet, like I had just climbed out of a swimming pool. I almost turned back at the six mile marker, thinking that I didn't really need the miles because I planned on running 25k on Sunday. But I kept on and did the full 16. We did maintain close to a 9 minute pace while we were running, but we had several long stops at aid stations. Everybody was thirsty on Saturday. Kathy told me that Roman filled up the water jug at the store four times.

I was glad when the run was over. As I laid down on the sidewalk, I moved my arms and legs, trying to make sweat angels. Too bad there was no snow on the ground. That would have felt great.

It seems like most of the people had difficulty with the run even though they slowed down their pace. It was all due to the humidity. The next long run should be much better. I know I keep saying that, but one of these days I will be right.

The weather was pretty good for the Turkey and Tatur race on Sunday. I did not run the race, but I did run (actually more of a walk) part of the course picking up course markings after the race was over. Congratulations to everyone who completed their first trail race.

3 comments:

Bobby said...

What little rain we got on Saturday sure was welcome to me.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Well, Sunday I actually go to go for my first official walk since the surgery. I was thinking about you all. Glad to hear you took the race off...it's good to rest those poor things. You definitely work them out! :)

Bobby said...

Chrissy, you could come out and walk with the group. Candice and Susan walk some due to their conditions.