Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Every Breath is a Gift From God

My running since the last post has been a twelve mile run on Saturday and a three mile run today (Tuesday). Saturday I ran with Joe and Paula, starting north on the east bank and then crossing over the river at 21st and heading south on the west bank to 71st. A woman new to the group, Elizabeth, ran with us for about three miles before she turned back. Paula and Elizabeth chatted the whole way. I believe I heard that Elizabeth is some sort of freelance writer. We had a good run, mostly at about a 10 minute pace. A little bit south of the sewage plant the west bank trail has a couple of good hills. I ran those pretty hard and wore myself out. I'm thinking it would be good to do more running on the west side just to get in those hills. At the end of the run, we ran into my daughter, Becky, who had just finished a 2 mile run with Christina, a friend she is in nursing school with. Christina had been a cross country runner in high school, but has not run in a long time, and then Becky talked her into getting out. Saturday was her first day. Hope she keeps it up.

The bigger news since the last post is lung cancer. Last Friday I went to a funeral for Janeen Grooms' mom. She died from lung cancer last Tuesday. We had Janeen and her family over Sunday evening. It seems Janeen is taking it pretty well, but I'm sure she will need some emotional support in the coming days. I got an email from church on Thursday that our pastor Phil Martin's mom was in the hospital. Turns out that Betty (Phil's mom) has an aggressive lung cancer and doesn't have long to live. Donna (Phil's wife) called early this morning to say Betty may die even today. Phil and Donna are the first people outside of work that Marilyn and I met when we first came to Tulsa in 1989. They are dear friends, and Phil's mom is the greatest. She has devoted her life to serving the Lord and others, and I know she will be welcomed with great rewards in heaven. Even so, I know these last days will be a struggle. Lord give Betty and her family strength to go through this trial.

Every breath we take is a gift from God. May we serve the Lord faithfully as long as we have life and breath.

2 comments:

50something said...

Hi Dave,
Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your friends, even though we know that where they're going is far better than here, it is hard to let them go and see their family and friends grieve. Thursday I came in from my early morning run and griped about the humidity and whined and complained and my husband jumped all over me because I am so blessed to run injury-free and here I am complaining. It was good to be reminded of that. He runs short distance and his hamstrings are tight and he is envious of my distance work, he would love to do it. Anyway, such a good word Dave. And to think that our very breath originates from Him, He is so awesome!

G.Dowell said...

I grew up with Janeen and her family in Tulsa. Janeen has been a dear friend of mine. Her mom was one of the greatest women I had ever met. Very caring and loved her children. She will be missed...

Gayle