Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday's Run

I started my run this morning just before 5:30 am from Veterans Park. I decided to run a six mile loop. I went down the Riverside trail to 31st and followed 31st to Woodward Boulevard. From there I headed north and followed the new Rt 66 Marathon course through Woodward Park, South on Terwilleger, and so on. My average pace for the six miles was just under 8:30. As I was finishing my run, Kathy and Ken pulled up, and I helped them set up for the group run.

At 7 a.m. the marathon group started their run. It was supposed to be seven miles, but Google maps showed it to be 7.7 miles. After the run, Bobby's Garmin said it was 7.8. Before we started, I told everyone in my group that it was exactly seven "RunnersWorld miles." Maybe it's sort of like badger miles, which Chris Solinsky and Matt Tegenkamp try to explain in the video below.


Video thumbnail. Click to play

Click To Play


I started off the group run with Matt, an assistant principal at Owasso High School. We headed south on the east bank to the pedestrian bridge, then north to 11th and then back to the east bank. At that point I let him go on ahead. Andy and Dustin passed me at that point too. Those guys are going to do great in the marathon. Between 11th and the pedestrian bridge, I lost about 100 yards on those three. I stopped to use the restroom and get a drink, and just then Gina and Lisa came along. I ran with Gina until we got to Boston Ave., and then I headed back to check on Lisa and the rest of the bunch. According to Google maps, I added at least two miles to my run by doubling back, so I'm calling my total 15.7 miles for the day. That makes just over 40 for the week.

It was a great day of running, and it was good to see all the runners doing so well. Kim's foot, which gave her some problems last week felt fine the whole run. I didn't hear any complaints except for a little bit sore knees for Lisa. Hopefully with a little rest and perhaps some icing she'll be feeling great next run.

No comments: