Friday, June 20, 2008

Thursday's Runs

Thursday was a bit hot and very humid. At noon temperature was in the 80s and so was the humidity. At noon I started my run south on Boston, and at about 15th Street I caught up with Jim, who I had run with once before, and a couple of other guys. One was Clark, and I don't remember the other guy's name. The other guy was wearing a cap that sort of looked like a beekeeper's hat.

I found out during the run what "the whole nine yards" means. Machine gun belts are (or used to be at one time) 27 feet long (9 yards), so to give the whole nine yards means you give 'em all you've got.

We ran along the Midland Valley Trail until we got to the east bank. Clark and I headed north along the river, and the other two headed back the way we came. Clark and I took off at a brisk pace - something a little less than 7:40 per mile. After a mile and a half I let Clark go on. I was beat. I walked up Galveston past the McBirney Mansion and then jogged back to the office. Distance = 5.2 miles.

Thursday evening I ran with the RunnersWorld group starting from the store. I was going to hang with Andy and Dustin, who said they were going to maintain an 8:30 pace. That seemed reasonable, but after about a mile and a half, the 8:30 became closer to an 8 minute pace. I kept up at about 8:10 pace and let them pull ahead. Brian passed us all, going 7 something pace. At the picnic table at 68th Brian and I rested a bit, while Andy and Dustin took the loop around the bears.

On the way back Brian and I did one mile at about an 8 minute pace, and then, at my suggestion, we walked and jogged the rest of the way. Along the way we visited with Candice and Joye. Candice's husband, Randy, just missed by one stroke qualifying for the Hooters golf tour. When we were almost back to the store, Gladys ran up behind me and startled me, so I took off after her. It was good to see her back running with the group. Distance for this run was six miles.

Back at the store we had cupcakes to celebrate Joye's birthday. Don't ever have Brian sing happy birthday to you!

No comments: